Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Mansfield Park


finally done - didn't help that I read a couple of Harry Potters in between chapters. There are times that I have found that reading 'romances' - or books that the main story line is who's going to get hitched to who - can be frustrating for an aging spinster. (by Jane Austen's time's standards) This was not the case for Mansfield Park because no matter how socially and culturally and historically acceptable it was at the time, I can't be jealous of the syrupy sweet heroine who gets to marry her cousin. I respect the fact that she has a good head on her shoulders, but if I could ever find myself in the same position, I would hope that my disposition would not be so persecuted regarding the whole state of affairs.
Missing some of the language, of course, I like the movie as well as the book - Fanny's got some noticeable spunk -
but she still marries her cousin.

No comments: