Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sutter's Cross

I generally try not to be a 'gushy' type of person. I would prefer the word 'enthusiastic' to 'gushing'. Neither word quite describes how I feel about this book. There are love stories that when you read them you find your own story in print. This story embodies my relationship with God and His desire for relationship with all people. Cramer captures the beauty of our world, our language, our relationships with each other. He depicts the prose of lives lived in faith and grace while he paints word pictures on every page.
One main theme of the book is that we are 'the arms of God'. This is an honor, privilege, and, at times, cause for some concern. I had always thought of the arms of God in the sense of embracing or hugs and smiles. But they are so much more than that - they also provide protection, security, guidance. In lives lived in community the arms of God provide all of these things simultaneously.
Some books leave me inspired to write and attempt to say similar sentiments - to expound upon, extrapolate the deeper meanings.
With Sutter's Cross I can only say - Please read it. The deeper meanings need not be extrapolated, they may be savored through each chapter. Participating in Sutter's Cross is an act of worship - the admiration of God's love for His people, His transcending design for our lives, His marvelous creation, and supreme Love.

Thank you to my mom for suggesting I try reading W. Dale Cramer's books.

No comments: